SEED Madagascar

Madagascar is one of the poorest yet most biodiverse countries on earth, with 83% of the island’s species being endemic. SEED Madagascar (SEED) is an award-winning British registered charity, which envisages communities and ecosystems thriving across Madagascar. Our central mission is to enhance the capacity of individuals, communities, organisations and government in fulfilling sustainable environment, education and development goals in southeast Madagascar.

Within our environmental conservation department is SEED’s Conservation Research Programme (SCRP), which has been operating for over 15 years from a permanent research camp in the beautiful coastal area of Sainte Luce. As the area has both high biodiversity and a heavily reliant local population, we work to combine scientific research with community conservation to build knowledge and capacity in the area. With a dedicated team of researchers, Malagasy field guides and spotters, and volunteers we have carried out extensive research into the extreme biodiversity of this area, and worked with the local community on conservation initiatives.

SEED welcomes short-term volunteers to join our conservation team for 2-10 weeks and participate in our projects, working with species only found in Madagascar. Projects include; long term monitoring of lemurs, reforestation projects, searching for endangered chameleons, and conservation classes at local schools.

  • Volunteers must be over 18.  Any student or graduate is eligible to apply.
  • No prior experience is necessary as all skills are taught during the programme by the experienced SEED Madagascar team.
  • Volunteers must be physically fit (able to walk 10 km in hot and humid conditions). If you are interested in this project but do not meet this specific criteria please contact SEED Madagascar to discuss the options available.
  • Prospective volunteers are welcome to highlight particular specialist skill sets that may be useful on SEED Madagascars projects, and this will be discussed on an individual basis, the needs of the communities SEED Madagascar serves always come first.
  • Conservation Programme placements are 2 -10 weeks
  • Start dates in January, April, July and October.
Students wishing to join us must plan, organise and implement their fundraising strategy to raise their minimum donation.   In addition to this it is their responsibility to:
  • Book and pay for appropriate flights and comprehensive travel insurance 
  • Organise essential travel vaccinations and anti-malarial provision
  • Ensure they have an up to date valid passport, and are prepared to apply for their visa on arrival in Madagascar
  • Provide themselves with appropriate equipment as outlined in the Survival Guide. Volunteers either bring their own tent or hire one from SEED.
  • Volunteers receive support from the SEED Madagascar UK staff pre-departure.
SEED Madagascar volunteers are from a diverse international background so it is not possible to run a comprehensive training session here in the UK prior to departure. We provide all training during initial orientation sessions and in the first days of the programmes once in Madagascar.
  • All training for the SEED Madagascar programmes is provided in-country by skilled Malagasy guides and long term international volunteers and researchers. 
  • Accommodation during the programme is in tents at the Sainte Luce campsite, with very basic amenities.
  • A dedicated SEED Madagascar team (made up of UK and local staff and volunteers) support the volunteers in-country.
  • The total cost is between £795 and £2495 (for between 2-10 weeks) before flights
  • £200 deposit to secure a place on the programme; this will also cover administration and support costs.
  • 85% of your total contribution is reinvested into SEED's projects, the other 15% covers volunteers food, transport, accommodation, language classes, guides, and logistical support.
  • Volunteers are encouraged to fundraise their minimum donation, as this raises awareness crucial awareness of Madagascar and the issues it faces. SEED is here to support your fundraising endeavours.

Find out more