Fundraising for Volunteering Overseas
The majority of overseas volunteering projects have associated costs. The amount varies between organisations and projects and depends on:
- What country the project is in (this affects costs for flights, visa’s, vaccinations);
- How long the project is for;
- What kind of accommodation you will stay in (e.g. camping /homestays /guesthouses);
- Daily living expenses and other activities that you might want to take part in.
Organisations often breakdown their costs as follows:
- Project costs - This includes pre-departure preparation such as training, handbooks and support, and in-country costs e.g. local orientation, staff support, accommodation, project-related travel and some meals.
- Getting there - on top of the above you will need to factor flights, visas, vaccinations and travel insurance.
- Spending money – This will depend on the local living costs, and what you plan to do in your spare time. The organisation will be able to advise you on how much you can expect to need depending on your project.
- A fundraising donation to the charity – many organisations will ask their volunteers to raise a set amount of money that will go towards the work of the charity.
- Deposits - Some organisations require a deposit, in most cases, this is a portion of the above costs.
All of the projects with our Trusted Partners have been checked out in terms of how much they charge and where the money goes.